Small Business Startup Guides
Automated (Vibrated) Block Molding Business – Get Started Today!
The construction and housing sector is a multi-billion Naira business. An Automated (Vibrated) Block Molding Enterprise is therefore a decent opportunity to properly position yourself for a fair share of the financial rain in the Construction and Housing value chain.
The third basic need of Man after food and clothing is Shelter. We need shelter from the elements; and for safety and security. Many everyday economic and social activities - in homes, offices, shops, commercial, industrial, and other activities - take place in an enclosed shelter.
As population grows, demand for housing rises. In view of the ever growing need for housing, block molding business is a sure route to wealth. The high demand for cement blocks from individuals, contractors, companies, and governments, makes Automated Block Molding an enterprise that guarantees regular profits all year round.
Can I do this Business?
Are you strong and healthy? Do you enjoy the outdoors? You don't mind jeans and tee-shirt? You don't mind coverall and safety kits? You don't mind the sun and heat? You don't mind getting your hands dirty? You got a head for a little arithmetic? Are you creative? Are you a team player? Then this business is for you!
To get better prepared, conduct a market survey to ascertain costs – equipment, labour, space, raw materials, etc. Update yourself with relevant information about the business – types of blocks and other products you can make, mixing ratios, curing, packing, pricing, delivery, etc.
Visit a couple of well established block molding industries to gather as much information as you can. If possible negotiate to understudy the business for a couple of weeks. Visit some raw materials and equipment shops and do window shopping. Interact with block buyers and users. Get online for more information.
To run this business effectively, you need to employ capable hands. These include mixers (to mix sand, cement and water thoroughly, and in the proper ratio), molding machine operators and block evacuators. Be sure to hire competent and diligent workers. At this initial stage, you'll do well to be your own accounting officer.
On the legal front, you need to register a business name or incorporate a company with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC). You may also need to consult with the Concrete Block Manufacture Association of Nigeria (CBMAN).
Next, buy or rent enough space (e.g. 30m x 40m) for the business. This will take care of molding, curing and storage of blocks, machinery, raw materials store and small office.
Your location should be easily accessible via a safe and motor-able access. Run away from swampy terrain or land liable to flooding, because this can affect the quality and strength of the blocks. Clean water supply is very essential. Steady power supply is critical for continuous operations.
For a start, you'll need a minimum of five workers: 1 machine operator, 2 mixers and 2 evacuators. As demand for your product increases, you can increase your workforce as necessary. Products you can supply include solid and hollow blocks, interlocking tiles, decorative bricks, pavement slabs, etc.
Tips for Success
- Quality Products. Produce and deliver high quality products to quickly build your reputation, sustain customer loyalty and beat the competition.
- Marketing. Identify and approach companies, government agencies and individuals who regularly use your product range.
- Branding. Brand your products and imprint your contact on them to make it easy for prospective clients to identify and reach you easily.
- Explore. Watch out for new construction sites in your domain, and see how you can be of service to them with your products and services.
- Network. Build solid relationships with real estate developers and managers, landlords, contractors and builders. That way they become long-term clients and referrals for your products.
- Update. Take advantage of workshops, conferences and trade fairs to network and stay up to date with the latest trends in the block manufacturing industry.
- Book-keeping. At this early stage, you may have to take charge of cash and other sensitive business activities, to stabilize and ensure smooth business operations.
- Expand. When your business stabilises, then it's time to open another block molding site at a different but market ready location.
The price of cement – a major input to block molding – is dynamic, but such fluctuations should not usually cause big changes in the prices of your products. As the price of your input materials change, the price of your final products will also change.
The number of blocks to be produced from a bag of cement depends on the specifications required in your area or as per your contract. It also depends on the size of the blocks produced – 9 inches, 6 inches, 5 inches, etc.
There is profit to be made from this business; and you can start at whatever capacity that suits your initial capital outlay, and then gradually expand production. But as in many other production businesses, there is a breakeven point.
The construction and housing sector is a multi billion Naira business. An Automated (Vibrated) Block Molding Enterprise is a great and decent opportunity to partake in the financial boom of this value chain.
Stop procrastinating! Start your own automated block molding business today. You'll be happy you did. Thank me later!
© Jay Onwukwe
Have questions or comments or want more info? Use the comments box below. What other businesses are you interested in? Let us know in the box below and we'll research and publish it for you FREE!